Do you like to run seasonal offers, discounts on excess stock, launch offers and specials on specific brands?
With our promotions feature you can create discount offers that will apply a promotional discount for a pre-set period of time. This feature will save you a lot of time adjusting prices of individual products when you want to run a special offer across a number of products.
The promotions feature means the discount is applied automatically to the promotional products. If you’d only like to provide discounts to people who have a voucher code see our coupons feature.
- Set a percentage discount
- Promotion discount can be set to be a site wide offer
- Promotion discount can be set to apply to a selection of categories, tags or brands
- Set a specific date range that the promotional offer will apply
- Edit expired promotions to re-run a special offer
- Edit and remove current promotions
How to set up promotional offers
- In your website dashboard go to your Shop Settings and click the Coupons and Promos menu
- Click Create a promotion
- Enter a descriptive promotion title
- Select if the promotion will apply to all products or restrict the offer to apply only to specific Categories, Brands and Tags products.
- If you choose to restrict to the offer you can select multiple items for each Category, Brand and Tag. A product will qualify for the promotion if it matches ANY of the selected categories, brands or tags. In this example below, the promotion will apply to all products in the Cat Accessories, Cat food and Dog food categories plus ANY products from Barking Heads and Harringtons brands. In this example if there was a product in the Dog Food category but not listed as a brand the discount will still apply.
If a product is eligible for multiple promotions at the same time (eg you have a 5% storewide and a 10% off dog food promotion), the promotion with the highest discount applies (eg 10% in this example).
- Set a date and time for your promotion to run. The time zone is set according to where your website is hosted which you can see in the My Account section of your dashboard.
- Set the percentage discount amount and save the promotion
Editing and removing promotions
You can easily edit existing promotions or reactivate expired promotions. See the Active Promotions and Expired Promotions areas.
How do promotions work with coupons?
If you are using the coupons feature you may have provided discount coupons to specific clients to obtain discounts or as gift vouchers to customers. When setting up your coupons which create a specific voucher code you need to choose if the coupon can be used with promotions. See the discount coupons guide to understand how promotions and coupons work together.
A few extra tips for promotions:
- Check if you need to update your terms and conditions about any special features of the promotional offer
- Use the feature area in your shop to remind customers about your promotion as they browse your online shop and add buttons to your feature area to link to your promotional offers
- Consider creating a special ‘On Special’ Tag which you could apply to any products you want to put on sale for a promotional price. You can set up your promotion to apply to any products you’ve added the ‘On Special’ tag to.
- If you’d like to discount a single product you could use the Tag approach in the above point or simply edit the product’s price and use the Why Pay label to show its previous price.
- Generate some buzz on social media by doing a very limited time promotion
- You can create multiple promotions to run at the same time and the highest applicable discount will apply.