Rocketspark doesn’t take any commission from any of your sales, however, each Payment Gateway has it’s own fees and features to take into consideration. Each customer will have their own preferences as well, so we recommend having a range of gateways available to increase the chances of a sale. A combination of Bank Deposit, a Credit Card Gateway, and a Buy Now Pay Later platform is a good start, however, each business will have its own needs depending on its products and its customers' spending habits.
eWay is an Australian/New Zealand payment gateway. They offer two types of plans.
All eWay plans offer free phone and chat support, no contract terms, and fast settlement You can sign up for an eWay account in your dashboard. Setting up eWAY payments.
In Australia, eWay’s 'All-in-one plan' also offer PCI-DSS level 1 security, same-day settlement, a lower transaction rate, and no refund fees.
Pricing for these plans is 1.5% + 25c per VISA and Mastercard transaction. Some digital wallets are supported (such as Apple Pay and VISA Checkout). Some other cards are also supported, however, pricing may differ.
eWay also offers three ‘Gateway Plans’, which are targeted towards those businesses who already have a merchant account with their own bank, and want to continue working with them.
These plans also offer a dedicated AU success manager and are setup-free. However, banks may charge further transaction fees.
Community Plan (Not-For-Profit Only)
50c per transaction
10 Free transactions per month
$20 per month
60c per transaction
5 Free transactions per month
$30 per month
40c per transaction
200 Free transactions per month
$60 per month
High volume businesses can negotiate custom pricing with eWay.
- Free phone and chat support
- No contract terms
- PCI-DSS level 1 security (All-in-one plans only)
- Same-day settlement (All-in-one plans only)
- No refund fees (All-in-one plans only)
- Dedicated AU success manager (Gateway Plans Only)
- Setup-free (Gateway Plans Only)
Why Choose eWaY?
eWay is great if you are a cost-focused business who just needs a credit-card gateway without too many bells and whistles, or who wants to work directly with your bank. Their fees are also some of the lowest in the industry, however, watch out for extra merchant fees when using one of their Gateway Plans.
Stripe is a payment processor and payment gateway. They offer simple, transparent pricing, but if you have a large payments volume or a unique business model you can negotiate a custom plan for your business. See Stripe's Pricing Page for more information. You can sign up for Stripe through your dashboard. Setting up Stripe payments.
Stripe charges 1.75% + $0.30 for domestic cards, and 2.9% + $0.30 for international cards.
- Support for Google Pay and Apple Pay alongside standard credit cards.
- 3D Secure authentication
- Recurring subscriptions support
- Automatic 4-day rolling payout schedule
- No refund fees
- 24/7 phone, chat, and email support
- Detailed payment dashboards
- Financial reconciliation and reporting support
Stripe's full list of features can be found here.
Why Choose Stripe?
Stripe is one of the most fully-featured payment gateways, with a huge range of useful tools included out-of-the-box. If you're wanting to use Rocketspark's Recurring Subscriptions feature, Stripe is currently your only choice. Accepting Apple Pay and Google Pay through your site is also only available through Stripe. Finally, if you're turning over a large sales volume or have a unique business model, then negotiating a custom plan with Stripe may lead to big savings in payment gateway fees.
PayPal is one of the oldest and best-known payment gateways. One of PayPal's key features is that they offer customers the option to pay for goods through their PayPal wallet, rather than having to have a debit or credit card. They offer transparent pricing, though when dealing with international currencies there can be some other hidden costs. Full pricing can be found here. You can sign up for PayPal on their website. Setting up PayPal payments.
PayPal charges 2.6% + $0.30 per transaction.
Withdrawing funds to a bank account is free. You must make a manual withdrawal request each time.
These fees can be reduced as your sales volume increases, though you need to apply for a reduction with PayPal.
- Immediate access to funds (though clearing to a bank account takes an additional 1-2 days)
- Easy setup online
- Built-in features geared towards Not For Profit organisations (such as their donate now button).
- Reduced fees as sales volume increases.
Why Choose PayPal?
PayPal has been around for a long time, and as a result they've built up a large customer base and a lot of trust. If you're a business turning over a large amount of revenue each month their fee reductions may be worthwhile. Additionally, if you're a business with a lot of international customers, PayPal is one of the simplest ways to accept payments from other currencies.
Windcave (formerly Payment Express)
Windcave (formerly Payment Express/DPS) is a payment gateway that offers a wide variety of payment options. You can apply for a Windcave account through your dashboard. Setting up Windcave / Payment Express / DPS payments.
Rocketspark has negotiated special pricing for Windcave. A new account will incur a one-time $50+GST establishment fee, and then two available plans:
$15 monthly fee
50¢ per transaction fee
$30 monthly fee (which includes 100 transactions)
30¢ per transaction fee
Bank fees can then range between 2.5%-3.5%.
Windcave's standard plans also require a one-time $99 establishment fee. The following providers are then offered at a monthly fee of $30.00 plus the rates below:
|Visa and Mastercard (standard)||1.70% + 30¢|
|Account2Account||1.20% (capped at $3.00)|
|Alipay||1.75% + 30¢|
|Amex||(Service fee varies) + 30¢|
|Apple Pay||(Service fee varies) + 30¢|
|Diners||3.00% + 30¢|
|Discover||3.00% + 30¢|
|JCB||(Service fee varies) + 30¢|
|Oxipay||(Service fee varies) + 30¢|
|PayPal||(Service fee varies) + 30¢|
|UnionPay||2.40% + 30¢|
Similar to eWay, Stripe and PayPal, if you're processing over $50,000/month you can negotiate custom pricing with Windcave.
- Daily settlement (T+1)
- Service fees billed in arrears
- 3D Secure chargeback protection
- Dedicated account management and 24/7 support
- Payline access for real-time monitoring and management.
- PCI compliant security
- A huge range of payment options for your customers
- Integration with EFTPOS for retail
- Bulk transaction processing
Why Choose Windcave?
Windcave is a great one-stop-shop if you have a physical presence as well as an eCommerce site due to their integrated EFTPOS solutions. The range of payments Windcave offers is also a huge draw, particularly for those doing business in China (with their UnionPay and Alipay integrations).
Laybuy is a part-payment platform that allows your customers to pay over 6 interest-free weekly payments, while you get paid upfront. You can sign up for Laybuy on their website. How to set up Laybuy - for merchants.
Laybuy charges a 4%-10% fee per transaction. Fees are set per retailer.
- Laybuy takes on the risk for non-payment and fraud.
- You can offer Laybuy in-store as well as online.
- The growing popularity of part-payment platforms like Laybuy can lead to increased sales.
- Allow your customers to receive the item immediately then pay off the item over 6 weeks, while you get paid upfront.
- A comprehensive data dashboard.
- Payments can be made through Laybuy for items up to $1200 (any excess will need to be paid at the same time as the first payment).
Why Choose Laybuy?
Part-payment platforms like Laybuy are growing in popularity and are here to stay. Offering Laybuy can be a great way to boost sales and improve your customers' experience.
Afterpay is a part-payment platform that allows your customers to pay over 4 fortnightly payments while you get paid upfront. You can sign up for Afterpay on their website. How to set up Afterpay - for merchants.
A flat fee (generally around 30¢) plus a commission that can range between 3%-7% per transaction. Fees are set per retailer.
- Afterpay takes on the risk for non-payment and fraud.
- You can offer Afterpay in-store as well as online.
- The growing popularity of part-payment platforms like Afterpay can lead to increased sales.
- Allow your customers to receive the item immediately then pay off the item over 4 fortnightly payments, while you get paid upfront.
- Payments can be made through Afterpay for items up to $1500 (any excess will need to be paid at the same time as the first payment).
Why Choose Afterpay
Afterpay is by far the most popular part-payment platform, with a huge user base across Australia, New Zealand, the US, and the UK. Afterpay's strong name recognition can help increase the volume and value of your sales. Buy Now Pay Later platforms are here to stay, so it's worthwhile considering them for your business.
zipPay is a part-payment platform available in Australia and New Zealand that allows your customers to pay their balance off in weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments, while you get paid upfront. You can sign up for zipPay on their website. How to set up zipPay and zipMoney - for merchants.
zipMoney is the same concept, except the account limit is raised, and extra fees are introduced for customers.
A flat fee (generally around 15¢) plus a commission that can range between 2%-4% per transaction. Fees are set per retailer.
- zipPay takes on the risk for non-payment and fraud.
- You can offer zipPay in-store as well as online.
- The growing popularity of part-payment platforms like zipPay can lead to increased sales.
- Allow your customers to receive the item immediately then pay off the item in a way that suits them.
- Payments can be made through zipPay for items up to $1000, and zipMoney is available for more expensive items.
Why Choose zipPay
zipPay averages lower fees than other Buy Now Pay Later platforms, and its flexibility for repayment is attractive to customers. The availability of zipMoney is useful if you sell expensive items and want to offer a Buy Now Pay Later service.
Bank Deposits have no charge, however, orders will need to be manually marked as paid in Rocketspark and some banks may have their own fees. Additionally, payments take a while to clear, so your customers may have to wait longer until you've received payment.
|Subscription Fee?||Transaction Fee?||Merchant Fee to Bank?||Transfer fee to Bank?||Other costs|
|eWay||Between $0-$60/month||1.5% per transaction, 40¢-60¢ with Gateway Plans||Yes, with Gateway Plans||Dependent on bank||No|
|Stripe||No||1.75% - 2.9% + 30¢ per transaction||No||Dependent on bank||Foreign exchange fees apply|
|Paypal||No||2.6% + 30¢ per transaction||No||None||Foreign exchange fees apply|
|Windcave||$15-$30/month||30¢-50¢ per transaction||1.75%-3.00% (depending on payment method)||Dependent on bank, generally between 2.5%-3.5%||$99 set-up fee, one-time ($50 with Rocketspark plans)|
|Laybuy||No||4%-10% per transaction||No||No||No|
|Afterpay||No||3-7% + 30¢ per transaction||No||No||No|
|Zippay||No||2%-4% + 15¢ per transaction||No||No||No|
You can make a copy of this spreadsheet and use it to roughly estimate how much each payment gateway would cost you in fees per month.