What is domain privacy?
Domain Privacy is a service that is offered by a number of domain registrars. The company replaces your information on the WHOIS lookup with their own and provide a forwarding service to you. A WHOIS lookup allows anyone to search domains and find the details of the owner, however with domain privacy this contact is changed to a forwarding service. However when transferring a domain this service needs to be disabled to allow for access to your administrative contact to approve the transfer.
Why we need you to turn it off?
In order to simplify a domain transfer we need to know the administrative contact details of the domain, where you will be required to approve the transfer. With privacy enabled the details entered in this section are that of the hosting company and not the owner of the domain. By disabling the privacy settings we are able to retrieve these details and proceed with the transfer.
How to turn off your domain privacy?
The instructions below are a generic process for disabling domain privacy and may not match exactly for your domain provider’s website. Find out who your current domain company is.
Some domain companies have guides on how to do this:
- To remove domain privacy you will need to firstly log into your domain providers account where your domain is currently being hosted.
- There will be an area where you can manage any domains currently registered under the account, proceed here.
- Select the domain you are wanting to transfer to Rocketspark.
- Under contact information or privacy settings there will be an option to disable your WHOIS privacy.
- If your domain is locked you most likely will also need to unlock it as it can interfere with the transfer process.
- We also recommend you view our other guide on unlocking your domain as this is required to transfer your domain.
Now you are able to transfer your domain to Rocketspark. Please login to your websites Dashboard and navigate to the Domain Names section to continue or start your domain transfer.