We make creating a favicon for your website easy by doing the grunt work for you. (Not sure what a favicon is? Find out all about favicons here.)
Rocketspark automatically generates a favicon for you based on your websites logo. If you are using a logo based template you most likely already have a favicon setup. If you need to customise your favicon or are using a text based logo, then follow the steps below.
Uploading your own favicon, just follow these steps:
- Using an image-editing program, like Photoshop, create an image with the dimensions 500 by 500 pixels. For some basic design guidelines, take a look at our introduction to favicons
- Save this file as a PNG (.png) file to your computer.
- Login to your websites Dashboard
- On the "Manage Pages" page, scroll down to the Favicon area near the bottom right, and click Upload Favicon
- Navigate to recently saved PNG file, and upload it
- You should now see your new favicon on your website
Designing your favicon.
Excerpts from our favicons blog post.
Most favicons are based on the website/company logo, but it almost always requires some retooling. It’s simply too small to accommodate most logos without some tweaking. Some favicons are just made up of letters, working the business’s initial(s) into a design consistent with the brand. Take, for instance, Wikipedia ("W") or Rocketspark’s own favicon (“RS”):
But this isn’t the only way to do it. You can ditch the letters for something purely visual, like YouTube or Basecamp:
Either way, the key is the same: keep it simple, ultra-simple.