Google My Business (previously Google Places for Business) allows you to set up your business on Google Maps, allowing you to take advantage of local search traffic, Google Map reviews, and SEO benefits. It is a good idea to set up Google My Business as it can increase traffic to your website.
- Visit the Google My Business registration page and click Manage Now in the top right.
- Sign in to your business’s Google account. If you don’t already have one, click Create an account now and follow the prompts.
- Once signed in, you’ll be taken to a page with a search field. Type the name of your business into the search field and click on it when it shows up in the results. If you can't find your business, click on Add your business to Google.
From here you’re given a form to fill out.
The Category field is where you indicate the industry you’re in. Simply type in your industry and select the most relevant match from its suggestions.
You will then be asked if your business has a location people can visit. Select an option and follow the prompts.
- You can also add a service area, phone number, region, and website to your account.
- Before your listing can go live, you'll need to verify your business with Google. Often, this will be done via phone number. Google will give you a number to enter and this verifies that you are a legitimate business at that specific address. You can also choose to Verify Later.
- Once you receive the verification phone call from Google, enter the PIN number they give you and click Next.
- A verification notification will pop up. Click OK.
- Your business is now listed and you can go through and add more detail to it. You can add your business’s website, email address, photos, opening hours, description, images, logos, and get client feedback.
Note: There is a Google My Business App, which allows you to manage your business listing from your phone, and also has some additional features unavailable on the desktop version.