Creating a direct download link will allow you to offer file downloads through links other than the File Upload block. This allows you to set up your buttons and text links so that users can click on them to download a file.
This support guide will walk you through how to set up a downloadable link from an image or text rather than the usual method of a file upload button.
- Log in to your Rocketspark Dashboard using your login details and click on Manage Pages. Add a page with the name File Uploads.
- Place the newly created page below the Navigation menu line, as shown in the image below to make sure that it’s not showing in your main navigation menu (this page can be switched offline).
- Go to the File Upload page and add a stack. Once you have added a stack add a file upload block and select the file that you would like a customer to download via a link. If you need a hand with this process, you can follow our support guide on how to add files here.
- Right-click on the file upload block and select the Copy link address option.
- We recommend pasting the link address into a text editor such as Microsoft Word so it is easy to continue with the next step. The URL will look something like this:
- Now you want to delete the first part of the URL (delete the domain in the URL, keeping everything to the right of /site_files/...). You should keep the part surrounded by the box in the image below.
- Once you have that part of the URL, copy it and return to the page with the image or text that you are wanting to link. If you are looking to add this link to an image please continue to follow the steps on our Image Link Guide. Alternatively, if you wish to link some text follow our Text Linking Guide. When it asks you to insert a URL, insert the one you got in Step 6.
You can also paste this URL in most places that accept a link, such as buttons and menu items.
Congratulations! You have successfully created a link to a downloadable file from an image or some text.
Extra for Experts
You can also add a downloadable file in this way using a dropbox link. Just ensure you change the dl=0 to dl=1 on the link, e.g.: https://www.dropbox.com/FILE_URL.jpg?dl=1.
If you don't want the file to be downloaded, but just shown in your user's browser, you'll need to change dl=1 to dl=0. This applies to both the Rocketspark file upload block method and the Dropbox method.