Sometimes, you want to have a short and easy page URL to make it a breeze for your customers to find the related content on your website. Other times, you probably need to create an alternate URL or multiple URLs for your marketing campaigns.
Also useful when moving to Rocketspark to make sure that you don't get any 404 errors on URLs from your old site. Also see this guide which explains more about making your old page URLs still work with your Rocketspark website.
If you are wanting to remove /page/ from your URL, please see our guide to remove /page/ from your website URL and set up the redirect
When setting up redirects we give you the option below to change the automatically generated page URL based on your page name and also setup alternative page URLs.
Here is the way to do it.
- Go to the Manage Pages section in your dashboard.
- Find the page you want to change/add another URL for, hover your mouse over the “+” button in the Extra URLs column and click “ADD URL”.
- Default page URL: A popup to edit your page URLs will appear. You can now see the default URL for the page in the top field, which is always in the format of http://www.yourdomain.com/page/your-page-name. The default page URL was generated when your page was created, you can amend this URL in the top field.
- Alternative page URLs: To add an alternate URL that does a 301 redirect to the default URL, you’ll just need to enter this into the bottom "Add/edit URLs" field. You only need to add the URL that you want for the page after your domain name. Then click “ADD URL” and “Save”.
The example below would redirect www.mesemelo.co.nz/rocketspark -> www.mesemelo.co.nz/page/beautifully-simple-website/
You can also set up several redirects for the same page to enable people to get to the page from different URLs. Simply type in another URL into the "Add/edit URLs" field and then click "ADD URL" and then "Save". (See example below).
In the example below, the viewers will be redirected to the default URL https://www.mesemelo.co.nz/page/beautifully-simple-website/ when they visit either https://www.mesemelo.co.nz/page/rocketspark or https://www.mesemelo.co.nz/website.
Set up 301 redirects?
If you have just built a new Rocketspark website while your old website URLs are still indexed in Google searches, you may be concerned about your SEO and want to get the most out of the existing SEO from your old URLs.
Setting up 301 redirects for your historical page URLs will also avoid visitors going to broken pages (404 errors show when a page is not found) once you're Rocketspark website goes live. The best way, on this occasion, is to set up the 301 redirects via our URL editor rather than seeing the 404 error. Here is an example:
New URL on Rocketspark
Simply follow the steps above to add your Alternative URLs for any of your pages.
In this way, you will add more value to your new websites SEO and make sure your existing customers can still find you with the old website page links.
What can the redirect editor NOT do?
- You CANNOT rename the shop/filter/category/brand page URLs by using the URL editor. For example you can't change the URL “/shop/#category=1234” to “/shop/product-category” as these store URLs are locked as a core part of the system right now.
- Alternatively, you could consider creating some landing pages named after the product categories or brands to guide your customers to a particular section of the shop. In this way, you can get a better SEO for your product categories/brands and give your customers an easier search experience while browsing in your shop - How to create landing pages in Rocketspark?