Sometimes you may experience increased spam activity through your Rocketspark Forms or your online store. Rocketspark has now integrated with Google reCAPTCHA to help prevent unwanted spammer activity on websites. It’s free, and we recommend this is enabled on all online shops and websites that make use of contact forms, particularly if you have been experiencing spam form submissions in the past. You can embed your reCAPTCHA Keys directly into your My Account section at Rocketspark.
Registering with reCAPTCHA
reCAPTCHA is a 3rd party service provided by Google. As such, you will need a Google account, and you need to register your Rocketspark website with reCAPTCHA.
- Visit https://www.google.com/recaptcha/about/ and click “v3 Admin Console”
(You will be asked to login to your Google account if not already)
- Click the plus icon to create / register a new website
- Enter your website details as follows
Under domains, enter all domains that are connected to your Rocketspark website. This should include:
- Your primary domain that customers use for visiting your website (eg mywebsite.co.nz)
- Your Rocketspark subdomain eg “yourbusiness.rocketspark.co.nz”
- You can find this in the address bar while logged into your Rocketspark website
Example of Adding a website at reCAPTCHA
- Once you have registered the new website you will be provided with keys - these must be copy-pasted into the Rocketspark Dashboard by following the next section to complete the integration.
Example keys, provided after registering a website
Enabling at Rocketspark
- Login to your Rocketspark dashboard and go to the “My Account” section.
- Here you will see a section for entering reCAPTCHA keys -> Enter your reCAPTCHA site key and secret key copied from the previous section (step 4), then enable reCAPTCHA.
Advanced settings - Strictness
The “strictness” controls how strict the checks should be when assessing if a visitor looks like a bot or looks like a human.
Always start with “default” strictness and only adjust this if experiencing problems with real visitors getting blocked (decrease the strictness), or spammers still getting through (increase the strictness).
You will also get a choice on how you want your reCAPTCHA branding to look on your pages that have your Rocketspark Forms. There is no option to remove this branding as it is mandatory for your website.
You will get the choice for either the following icon at the bottom of the pages that has a form on it or choose to have that text underneath each form instead.
The reCAPTCHA won't provide barriers for you customers checking out or filling in your forms. The reCAPTCHA detects the difference between normal and spam or bot behaviour and will only create a barrier to prove they are not a bot if the reCAPTCHA detects this spam or bot behaviour.
Troubleshooting - Why is my reCAPTCHA not working?
Problems may include:
- Your keys are incorrect or outdated
- The domain name hasn’t been added properly to the whitelist
- You changed domains and forgot to tell reCAPTCHA about it
- Google has disabled your account
- The monthly account usage limit has been reached (this limit is very high)
- Some connection problem with Google
We recommend checking that all settings are correct in your reCAPTCHA account, as per the above instructions. If the problem persists, you can contact the Customer Success team for assistance.