With Rocketspark, the Zapier email parser and Zapier, it’s possible to get field data from Rocketspark form submissions and sync it into any CRM, project management software, spreadsheets... really anything that connects with Zapier.
How it works - overview
You receive a special email address (from the Zapier mail parser) that you set your form submissions to email to. Then it’s a matter of highlighting and naming your fields in the email using the Zapier Email Parser. From there you can set up a Zapier zap to send the email fields to any software that connects with Zapier. We have tried this successfully with Asana, Zendesk, Hubspot, and Google Sheets but over 2000 other apps also work with Zapier!
Before you begin, is this a one time campaign or ongoing?
Is this a form for a limited time campaign or event with a fixed end date, or is it an ongoing form that will remain on your website for the foreseeable future?
If it’s the first option, a simpler and faster setup approach is to use the Rocketspark Form Builder integration with Mailchimp to send form submissions to Mailchimp. Mailchimp is free for thousands of contacts and you can get any of your form fields to sync into Mailchimp automatically. From Mailchimp, you can export your contacts to a CSV file for importing into any other app or spreadsheet. This way, if you add/reorder/remove fields, it asks you if you want to add that field in Mailchimp as well within your Rocketspark form editor.
However, if you need your form to keep syncing with another app for the foreseeable future, and don’t want to have to keep uploading CSV files, Zapier is a good option.
Step by step instructions for setting up Email Parser by Zapier to work with Rocketspark form Builder
If you’ve never used Zapier before, things can get a little techy from here on in but if you follow the step by step instructions you don’t need to be super technical to set it up.
- In order to set this up, you’ll need to sign up for a free Zapier account. Click the try free button on the free plan (It’s free for up to 5 zaps and if you’re just setting up one form, you’ll only need one Zap. You get 100 free tasks each month).
- Once your Zapier account is created, log in to the Zapier email parser using your Zapier account.
- Click Create Mailbox.
- Copy the full @robot.zapier.com email address that is displayed and keep this tab open.
- Open another tab and log in to your Rocketspark website Dashboard.
- Go to your My Forms area.
- Then click the edit pencil on the form you want to sync up (you could also create a new form).
- Scroll down to the Email form enquiries to section and click the edit pencil.
- Paste in the Zapier email address as an additional email (it’s a good idea to still keep receiving email copies to your email inbox so you have a copy there as well), press the enter key, then click Save Changes.
- Click Preview in the slider in your top bar and navigate to that form on one of your pages.
- Fill out the form with some example details and submit the form. If the form isn’t live on your site or isn’t easy to navigate to from your home page, you can also navigate to the page the form is on from the Manage Pages area of your Dashboard
- Then go back to your open tab at the Zapier Email Parser.
- Don’t edit the email address field.
- In the initial template text area, highlight each field submission in the displayed email and give each a name
- Once all fields are highlighted and named, it should look something like this:
- Click Save Address and Template.
- Now log in to your Zapier account (not the Zapier email parser but zapier.com).
- Click the Make a Zap button. (Tip, after clicking Make a Zap it’s a good idea to name your Zap in the top left corner so you’ll recognise it in case you set more zaps up in future).
- Choose Email Parser by Zapier and then the trigger as New Email as per the below example, then click Continue.
- Choose your Email Parser by Zapier account from the dropdown list, then click Continue.
- Choose your Zapier email mailbox from the next dropdown and click Continue.
- Then click TEST & CONTINUE.
- Next, search for the app you want to sync the data to.
- From here, the instructions vary for the specific app that you’re connecting with and there are over 2000 to choose from:
- Typically it will involve choosing an action event, like creating a task or creating/updating a lead.
- Then you will likely be required to select your account in that app.
- From there you would need to connect up the fields from the email with the fields in that app. If it was a CRM, for example, you might have 'name', 'email address', 'phone number' etc
- What this means is that each of those fields will successfully sync from the email parser to this app when a new form submission comes through
- Once all required fields are completed, you can click TEST & CONTINUE to see that a test example goes through correctly
- Once that is done you need to turn the Zap on and you are good to go.
- We recommend then going to your form and sending another test through once the Zap is on. On the free Zapier plan it will take 15 minutes for that to come through (depending on the zap you've set up - some are instant).
- If you change anything about the form (add/remove/reorder fields), you will need to go into the Zapier Email Parser and create a new email template (repeating steps 13-15 above).
Please note that these may change depending on Zapier. If you do note these instructions are not helping you, please feel free to let email@example.com know.