There may be a time when you want to do a large redesign of your website. If you don’t want visitors to see your website in a ‘half redesigned’ state there are a few different options that you can consider.
Option 1: Design on hidden pages
Best for: Redesigning individual pages of your site
If you want to change the design/layout of key pages of your website (for example refreshing the homepage) then we recommend designing on hidden pages.
In your Rocketspark Dashboard, you can set each page of your website as either online or offline. If a page is offline then it is a hidden page and won’t be visible to any website visitors.
- In the Manage pages area of your Dashboard create a new page.
- Make sure the new page is offline by checking the online/offline toggle.
- Redesign the page until you are happy with the design.
- When you are ready for the new page to go live swap out the pages by renaming your current page e.g Home old and renaming your new page to the old page name e.g Home. You will also need to make sure you toggle your new page online and your old page offline.
- Your newly redesigned page will now be visible to visitors to your website.
If you’re heavily redesigning an existing page and do not want to copy to the whole page over but are still reusing some of the content, you can copy the stacks you want to use across to your new page.
Option 2 - Start a new Rocketspark trial
Best for: Smaller websites with few blog posts
If your website does not contain a lot of content then you can always create a new Rocketspark trial and start afresh.
Once you have the site how you would like, let Rocketspark Support know and we will transfer your domains, emails and billing history across to the new account for you and manually upgrade this new site for you.
Option 3 - Start a new trial site & copy the design settings
Best for: Large websites, ecommerce stores or websites with lots of blog posts.
If your website has a lot of blogs or is a large ecommerce site then copying across all of your content to a new website is not practical. In this instance, we recommend you create a new Rocketspark trial site so you can test out different design options without having them applied to your live website.
- Start a new Rocketspark trial. When signing up you will need to use a different email address than what is associated with your first website.
- On your new trial website, explore different design options by changing the Change design Section and stack specific design settings.
- Once you are happy with the design, choose a time when traffic is low on your website (usually early morning or late at night) and have both your trial site and live site open in front of you.
- Match the ‘edit design’ and ‘stack specific settings’ on your trial site to your existing site until your live website looks the same as your trial site.
- You can also then follow Option 1 above if you are wanting to re-design and change up some of your pages.
Option 4 - Request for a site duplication
If you get in touch with our support team you can request a site duplication - this will pull across all details apart from the shop area which you will need to set up.
From here you will be able to redesign the site, and when you are happy with the site we will change this over from the old site to the new site for you.
Work with a Rocketspark Design Partner
If you would like help redesign your website then you may want to consider working with a Design Partner. Rocketspark Design Partners are trained in the Rocketspark platform and can help you create a great looking website that stands out from the crowd at a more affordable price than traditional web design companies. Find a designer here