A browser cache is a temporary storage area in memory or on disk that holds your most recently downloaded web pages. When browsing the web, as you jump from page to page, caching those pages allows you to quickly go back to a page without having to re-download it.
Most of the time web caching is effective and improves your online experience as the loading of webpages is faster. A downside of this can be that the website provides a "stale" copy of a webpage when an updated version is needed.
Below are the steps on how to clear your browsing cache in some of the more common browsers:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- In the upper right corner, click the small gear icon (to the right of the star icon) and choose Internet Options
- On the General tab, under Browsing history, click Delete.
- Un-check the Preserve Favourites website data box.
- Check the Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and History boxes.
- The Form data, Passwords, and in Private Filtering data boxes may be left un-checked. You can check them to delete this data if you so choose.
- Click Delete.
- When finished, click OK to return to your Internet Explorer window.
- Close the Internet Explorer window and reopen.
- Click on the Chrome menu icon seated towards the right end, besides the address bar.
- Navigate to Tools -> Clear browsing data.
- A pop up will appear on your screen. Here, you can select, not just cache, but any browsing data that you wish to delete.
- Since we are concerned with browse cache, tick mark the option reading Empty the cache and uncheck all others. In order to clear cache completely we suggest that you select beginning of time from the drop down. Click on Clear browsing data when done.
- From the History menu, select Clear Recent History.
- From the Time range to clear: drop-down menu, select the desired range; to clear your entire cache, select Everything.
- Next to "Details", click the down arrow to choose which elements of the history to clear; to clear your entire cache, select all items.
- Click Clear Now.
- Exit/quit all browser windows and re-open the browser.
- In the Safari menu bar, click the Safari option.
- Click the Clear History link.
- In the Clear drop-down menu, select the time range where you want to clear browsing data.
- Click the Clear History button.