What is Payment Data Transfer or PDT
This guide is a smaller step of the Paypal setup process, if you haven't started from our Setting up Paypal Payments guide then please visit this first.
PDT is a feature of PayPal that you must activate to provide a user friendly shopping experience for customers making purchases via a mobile phone on your Rocketspark online store.
In this user guide we'll explain more about why you need to set up PDT and how to set it up.
What is PDT
When someone completes their online purchase your website needs to receive notification from PayPal that the payment was successful. Paypal has more than one way of notifying your Rocketspark website that an order has been placed. The primary way that this happens is via the Instant Payment Notification. See the IPN setup guide here.
PDT is an alternative way of allowing your website to show order information to your customers once they return back to your website and is needed for customers making purchases on their mobile phones.
To setup Payment Data Transfer
- If you are not still logged into PayPal go to www.paypal.com and log in to your PayPal account
- Click on the Profile tab (make sure you click on the word Profile rather than just hovering your mouse on it)
- Click My selling tools
- Under Selling online, find Website preferences, and click update
- Turn on the Auto Return Feature & Set the Return URL to http://[Insert your website address]/shop/checkout_finish/
Auto Return must be turned on for PDT to work.
- Turn on the Payment Data Transfer feature.
Once this is turned on you will be shown an Identity Token. The first time you turn the feature on the Identity Token will not be visible so click the back button in your web browser to go back to the Website Preferences page and after saving these settings the Identity Token will be visible.
- Scroll to the very bottom and click Save.
- Copy your Identity Token. This can be done by highlighting the text on the screen and then right clicking on it and selecting copy or type Ctrl+C for Windows / Command+C on Mac to copy the text.
- Log into your Rocketspark Dashboard
- In Dashboard click the Settings cog next to the Shop menu then click Payment Gateways
- Click Edit Settings next to Paypal.
- Paste the Identity Token into the Payment Data Transfer Identity Toekn field. Use Ctrl+V for Windows / Command+V on Mac.
- Click Save Changes. Your PDT is now set up.