Some domains can take up to 5 days to transfer. In order to get your website live sooner, you can login to your existing domain provider and set your domains A and CNAME records towards Rocketspark. This will allow your website to be live while the domain transfer is underway, this way you experience less downtime. Warning: You may not want to touch the MX or TXT records as this can break your existing email setup.
- The first step is to find out the correct DNS settings for your website's server.
- Login to your website's Dashboard.
- Click into the My Account section on the left.
- Scroll down and your website hosting location is labeled on this page.
- Click on one of the guide links below, making sure you are selecting the correct DNS settings for your hosted location.
New Zealand Server DNS Settings
United Kingdom Server DNS Settings
Australia Server DNS Settings
United States Server DNS Settings
- Find the correct A-type DNS record from your local server guide above and install this into your DNS settings. You may need to contact your old domain provider for help by sending them the new A record you're wanting to be set up. In some cases changing DNS settings is not an option while the domain is transferring or the name servers are set elsewhere from the old provider. In either case, your old provider can advise on this situation.
Tip: See if they have a Live Chat option on their website for super-fast answers to these types of questions.
How do I do change the DNS settings?
Each domain provider does this a little differently. You will need one of the above guides (DNS Settings) as these are the settings that you will need to change on your domain. You can either change these settings yourself (if you feel confident to do so) or you can give these settings to your domain provider to set these up for you. Just contact the support team at your domain provider for assistance. On another note, most domain providers will have their own help guides on how to make changes to DNS records.
Or, you can refer to our 'How to' support guides for specific domain providers: