Domains are locked when in use to keep them more secure in their current location. Because of this, locked domains cannot be transferred between accounts or registrars. When domain details are updated your domain provider will automatically unlock and re-lock your domain to update these details during the process. However to move/transfer your domain to Rocketspark you need to manually unlock it for this process to complete.
Where is my domain hosted?
If you're unsure where your domain is hosted, the first thing you can do is a whois lookup. Learn how to find out where your domain is currently hosted.
How to unlock
The below instructions are generic for the process of unlocking your domain and may not match exactly for your domain providers website. Most providers provide their own help/support documentation for this process.
- To unlock your domain you will need to firstly log into your domain providers account where your domain is currently being hosted.
- There will be an area where you can manage any domains currently registered under the account, proceed here.
- Select the domain you are wanting to transfer to Rocketspark.
- Under the settings/options for that domain there will be an option to unlock the domain. Do this and save the changes you have made.
- If your domain has Privacy Protection enabled you most likely will also need to disable this feature as well as it can interfere with the transfer process.
Now you are able to transfer your domain to Rocketspark.
- We also recommend you view our other guide on checking your Admin contact email is accessible which is required to approve the transfer.
- For the Domain Transfer, we also recommend getting a back up of your DNS records.