Note: Google Universal Analytics (UA) is being replaced by Google Analytics 4 (GA4). Please refer to How to setup Google Analytics GA4 for new version and process.
Google Analytics is the tool you use to understand how many people are visiting your website and provides some really insightful information about your customers. With Rocketspark you can also link your Google Analytics account with your Rocketspark account to view a visitor summary and graph right in your dashboard.
For advice on how to increase traffic to your site we recommend you read our Rocketspark guide to search engine optimisation.
Rocketspark makes setting up Google Analytics very easy. There are three main setup steps:
- Set up your own Google Analytics account
- Tell Google which site you want to analyse and Google will give you a Tracking ID
- Paste the Tracking ID into your Rocketspark website
Step by step instructions
- Go to Google Analytics
- Click on Sign in, or if you are already signed in, click Access Google Analytics
- If you don’t already have a Google account click Sign up. If you already have a Google account go to step 6.
- Enter your details in the Google accounts form to create your Google Account
- You will be sent an email by Google to verify that your email address is correct.
- Click on the link provided by Google to verify your account. Be sure to check your junk mail/spam folders if you can’t find the email from Google.
- Sign in to your Google Account
- Click the Sign up button to set up Google Analytics.
- First, select that you would like to track a website, select Classic Analytics, then enter the details of your Rocketspark website & Industry Category and click continue.
Website Name = The name of your business or organisation
Website URL = Your website address e.g. www.yourcompany.co.nz.
- Change your timezone to match your area, then click Get Tracking ID
- IMPORTANT! FOR NEW GOOGLE ANALYTICS ACCOUNTS:
In your Property Set-up Choose to Show Advanced Options -> Toggle on Create a Universal Analytics property -> And select Create a Universal Analytics property only - This will give you a UA tracking ID which you will need when connecting your account to Rocketspark
- Pick your country for the terms of the user agreement, read the Terms of Service, tick the box and click Create Account.
- Your page will now look like the image below. This contains your Tracking ID, which you will need later.
- When in your Admin Settings (bottom left) go to your Property Settings and make sure your Property Name is set to your business name or a name you want to identify this account as.
- Now go to your View Settings and also make sure your View Name is set to your business name or a name you want to identify this account as.
These steps are important as your Property and View Names can sometimes be set to All Website Data which can cause confusion if you have multiple Google Analytics accounts when connecting your account with your Rocketspark Dashboard and cause a wrong account to be connected.
- Open a new window in your internet browser, go to your own website and log in to your Rocketspark Dashboard. Don’t close the Google Analytics page as you will return to it in a few steps.
- On your Rocketspark Dashboard, click the Setup Website Statistics button, then click the Yes button in the popup.
- The box below will appear. Because you have followed the instructions above, you have already setup a Google Analytics account, click Yes, continue setup
- From your Google Analytics page, copy your Tracking ID to the box on your Rocketspark Dashboard. Then click Continue and link your account.
- The below page will appear. Click Allow
- Select your website name, and click Link Analytics.
- If all successful, you will see the message below. Just click Continue.
Note: Google can take up to 24 hours to start providing data in your report. You will then be able to view a visitor graph and overview when you are logged in to your Rocketspark dashboard.
If you want more information and control over what is tracked, you can set up Google Tag Manager by following this help guide.
If you have connected the wrong Google Analytics Account or need to connect a new Account
Sometimes you may need to change your Google Analytics Account from your Rocketspark Dashboard for reasons such as you have connected the wrong account or you are wanting to connect a new account.
- You will first need to remove your Google Analytics Account from your Rocketspark Dashboard. Go to your Get Found SEO Section and find the section Google Analytics - Tracking ID
- Remove your UA code from this area and click Save
- Go Back to your Rocketspark Dashboard and Follow the Steps above (from Step 11) to connect your Google Analytics Account to your Website Dashboard.
Note: If you are reconnecting your account because you have connected the wrong account originally it is important that you have checked Steps 12, 13 & 14 above to ensure you are on the correct account.